Welcome to the Begin/End blog. Use this blog to look behind the scenes as this brand new contemporary play is created. Then go see Begin/End and let us know what you think. If you want to find out where Begin/End is on and how to buy tickets visit the Half Moon web page

About Me

London, Limehouse, E1, United Kingdom
We are an East London based theatre venue producing and presenting great theatre for and with young people

Wednesday 27 January 2010

VJ artist Paul Hithersay on his experience of creating visuals for the play

This has been a very unusual challenge for me.

Creating video which has to be noticed almost subliminally/subconsciously to support the emotional feel of parts of the drama, without being a distraction from the main focus on the characters on stage is something completely new to me. Usually I make very "in yer face" VJ cuts, to go with dance and electronic music! Usually I make images to be projected on a flat screen. This is projected on to a 3D set!

The process of getting started and developing images that really support and entwine themselves with the unfolding story has been pretty tough. The starting point is always your own personal, subjective interpretation and I found the text of the play really gripping, all by itself. I struggled for a while to imagine how video would work and what techniques, especially the development of a style, to bring to it in a subtle way, that could actually add something to an already powerful drama. I found that my usual way of doing things was not going to hit the spot. I had to re-think the way I was working it.

In solving these questions and coming up with pieces of work that would answer the challenge, I have to say that Angela's [Angela Michael's, Begin/End's Director] vision, direction and support of the artistic process has been tremendous. Each stage in the development of the whole production, the set, the music, the acting, the action, the use to the stage space and of the video, has been coaxed into being by Angela's skill, experience and ability to get the very best out of people and ideas.

This is the first time I have worked with Half Moon and I am seriously humbled and impressed by the friendliness, professionalism, enthusiasm and creativity of everyone involved. Not only that, I'm really chuffed to have contributed something that people, including the playwright are pleased with. We are nearly at the end of the process now and I am surprised and delighted with what has evolved from it.

As I write, I'm looking forward to running through the next rehearsal, with all the video in almost it's final form and order.

There are a couple more days left to make final tweaks, ready to go on show and on the road which this truly excellent, truly live, truly multi-media production of a very powerful drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment